Thursday, January 2, 2014

Poured Out

I wrote this a few months ago, but thought it was still worth posting...Be encouraged!

I am convinced that one of the hardest jobs on earth is being a parent to a Newborn. No, this is not my first time around the block as a parent. I have walked this familiar road only 2 years ago with Eden. But just 2 years later it's hard to remember all the specifics of those early weeks with a newborn. There is no way to describe the struggles that you can face on top of sleep deprivation. You may try to explain it to someone who has never been a parent, but it's almost like trying to explain a contraction to someone who has never been in labor. It just seems like there is no way to accurately express all that you are feeling and facing in those early weeks. It's amazing how much a Newborn teaches you about being selfless. You pour yourself  out, day in and day out to this little person who can absolutely do nothing for themselves. Their life depends on you! What a sobering thought. At 3 am when they need to eat or be changed you must act. You must respond. What beautiful love you pour out on them. When you're at the end of your rope, you press on for their sake. You wake up just 1 more time in the middle of the night. You give up time for yourself to look after them. When you're at a restaurant and your child wakes up and needs to nurse, you nurse. The baby comes first. No matter how inconvenient it may seem to your schedule. You love them so much, and you sacrifice everything for them.
What a wonderful picture of what Christ has done for us. When we were dead in our sins, and could do absolutely NOTHING for ourselves, HE saved us.
I am reminded that with a Newborn you start at the bottom. You start in the trenches, and hope and pray that with each passing day it gets just a little easier. Our sin causes us to be in the trenches. Far from God. Far from the one who desires a perfect relationship with us. So just as with a Newborn, we figure them out and grow to love them more and more, God desires that with us. He gave us EVERYTHING when we had NOTHING. We need His love and care day in and day out. Most importantly we need the salvation He gives us!

I will tell you there is something beautiful about having a Newborn. In those sleep deprived moments it's important to breathe, and just take a moment to take in that newborn smell. To gaze upon that beauty laying in your arms. To stare in wonder at his or her ten fingers and toes. This little person leaves you speechless and hopefully with a heart full of thankfulness to God.

But if you find yourself only focusing on the hardships, remember it does get easier. I blinked, and my 1st child is 2 years old now. Yes we had long days and nights with her too, but we made it.
God is with you, and I know that He is with me. He is with me at 3 am when I've hit my breaking point. He is with me when I am short with my daughter. He is with me ALWAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment